Skip to content

February 10, 2015

1

SCCM 2012 R2 CU4 Client Upgrade Issue

I recently upgraded our System Center Configuration Manager 2012 R2 environment to CU4.  The upgrade of all the site systems went very smoothly.  However, when upgrading all our clients I did run into some problems.

I used the package created by the Configuration Manger CU4 updater to update our clients.  (The package is called “R2 CU4 – x64 client update – XYZ” by default.)  I found that in using this package, about 65% of our clients that received the package, processed it successfully and were successfully upgraded to CU4.  The other 35% failed and left the client in a bad state.

The logs stated that the program was waiting on another program to finish (but there was no other program running).  It almost seems that agent was waiting on itself.  When this occurred, the SMS Agent Host service was left in a stopped state on the client.  If I attempted to manually start this service, the agent would stop itself (it appeared to think its in middle of an upgrade even though no upgrade process was running).  After troubleshooting the agent for a while, I was unable to ever get it to start and behave properly again on its own.

The only fix I could find was to reinstall the agent from scratch.  The easiest way to do this was to use Client Push (wasn’t this easy though for workgroup and dmz systems), but could use any alternative method.  Once ccmsetup.exe was executed, it would reinstall the client and even update it to CU4 as part of that process.  Once that was done, my agents came back to life.

Not sure if any correlation, but it seems about 80% of my agents that broke were Windows 8.1/Windows Server 2012 R2 systems.  However, there were still about 20% that were Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2, so its hard to say if this is relevant.

If you are applying CU4 in your environment I would recommend testing agent upgrade process very carefully. If you run into issues, you may want to consider upgrading via Client Push or another ccmsetup.exe method instead of directly applying the MSP.

1 Comment Post a comment
  1. steve
    Nov 27 2016

    had the same issues, now MP keeps re-installing on all servers, just like cu3 bug.

    so when do these “hotfixes” stop adding bugs?

    we are down companywide.

    Reply

Share your thoughts, post a comment.

(required)
(required)

Note: HTML is allowed. Your email address will never be published.

Subscribe to comments